Welcome to the Evergreen Park Public Library's Local History webpage! In May 2010, the Library was awarded a grant from the Illinois State Historical Records Advisory Board. With the grant, the Library was able to organize and digitize its local history collection and make selected items available online. It is the library's goal that the community will utilize this resource to reignite Evergreen Park's passion for its history and culture.
Supported in part by an award from the Illinois State Historical Records Advisory Board, through funding from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), National Archives and Records Administration.
Use the links below to search the collection or if you prefer the physical item, the collection is available upon request at the Reference desk.
Search the Local History Collection (online)
Using the ISHRAB grant funds, the library purchased a content management software that enables the library to catalog and post its collection online. The software allows users to search and view digitized items from the library's website.
To search the collection: Click here
Note: The Library digitized selected items from its collection. The items not chosen for digitization are searchable with only the item's cover page available to view. If you would like to see an item not digitized please visit the Library.
The Evergreen Park Library's collection includes material related to the growth of Evergreen Park and its neighboring communities. The collection consists mainly of anniversary publications compiled by the Village and community guides published by various newspapers. Also included are community surveys, photographs, Evergreen Park Courier issues, ten Evergreen Parker issues, telephone directories, Board of Trustee minutes, Evergreen Park Community High School yearbooks and more.
For a more detailed list of the collection, please use the following links:
- Evergreen Park Local History (2010.001)
- Evergreen Park Village Board of Trustees Minutes (2010.002)
- Telephone Directories (2010.003)
- Evergreen Park Community High School Yearbooks (2010.004)
Subject Guides (ask at the Reference Desk)
Use these helpful guides as a starting point for your research.
Early Evergreen Park History
- The Village of Evergreen Park 75th Anniversary Album 1893-1968. Item 2010.001.018.
- Contains the most detailed narrative of E.P.'s early history including the names of the first Village employees and students at the school as well as a plethora of photographs.
- The Centennial of the Incorporation of the Village of Evergreen Park, Illinois: Cherishing our Past, Nurturing our Future Evergreen Park, Illinois 1893-1993
- The 100th anniversary publication contains many stories about E.P.'s past along with a complete list of former Trustees and a short history on prominent Village organizations and businesses.
- Evergreen Park Illinois 75th Anniversary 1893-1968." Item 2010.001.007.
- Celebrates 75 years of E.P. with articles on early E.P. settlers and other stories that illustrate the growth of the Village over 75 years. Published by the Suburban Economist.
- "Cherishing Our Past, Nurturing Our Future: Evergreen Park 100 years." Item 2010.001.003.
- Published by the Evergreen Park Courier, the issue celebrates E.P.'s centennial anniversary with detailed articles on early E.P. settlement and on the history of E.P. Other articles cover various organizations, business, and individuals who contributed to the growth of the Village.
- Cherising Our Past: Evergreen Park's Centennial Celebration Book of Memories. Item 2010.001.001.
- Contains authentic stories written by early settlers and long-time residents of Evergreen Park.
- Evergreen Park: Melting Pot of Memories. Item 2010.001.008
- Includes additional descriptions of early life and memories pertaining to Evergreen Park.
- Telephone Directories 1924-2006 (2010.003)
- Locate where relatives lived or identify prior residents of your house.
The following is a list of library resources that may be useful while conducting historical research:
- Ancestry.com (In-library use only)
- Discover your ancestors with the world's largest family history website. Search census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas.
- The Evergreen Park Courier (1990-present; in-library use only)
- Explore local E.P. news, including community events, obituaries, schools, politics, cultural activities, local companies, and people in the community.
- Historical Chicago Tribune
- Search over 2.5 million obituaries from 1860-1984, three million clippings for major events from the 1920's-1984, and entire front pages from 1900-1984. Click on the link above to begin your search.
- Heritage Quest
- Contains genealogical information covering America since the late 1700s. Click on the link above to begin your search.