Donating Materials and Book Sales
The Evergreen Park Public Library holds its annual Gigantic Book Sale in August in the lower level of the library. A smaller selection of used materials is sold in the library throughout the year.
Can I donate my used books, music or movies to the library?
Yes! Small donations of materials in good condition will be accepted at the Circulation desk. Please call (708) 422-8522 before delivering large donations, as storage space in the library is limited. Do not put donated materials in the book drop or outside of the library.
Please DO NOT donate items listed below:
- Books that are moldy, mildewed, food-stained, heavily highlighted, or falling apart. Materials previously stored in basements or garages need special checking. These can be recycled (remove covers first) in the green and yellow bin in the library parking lot.
- Medical, legal and computer books older than 10 years
- Tax books
- School textbooks that are no longer used
- Discarded library books
- Audiocassettes (books on tape or music)
- Computer software (games) on 5 ¼ or 3 ½ inch disks
Please DO donate these high demand items:
- Hardback books published within the last 5 years
- Children’s books
- DVDs and audiobooks on CD
- Music CDs
- Classic literature
- Older books (hardback or softbound) in fields such as: art, architecture, history, militaria, cookbooks, Afro-Americana, philosophy, science, math, crime, local interest, education, sports, biography, nature or performing arts
Are donations tax deductible?
Personal property donated to the Evergreen Park Public Library may be deducted as charitable donations in kind. Donors may request a receipt from the Circulation desk. Library staff does not estimate the value of donations, but a tax professional or the IRS itself can advise.